Steve Lumley (www.steve-lumley.com) has recently announced the formation of an new Malaysian Elite Triathlon Team.
Triathlon is now part of the programme at the Olympic, Asian, SEA and Commonwealth Games. Currently there are very limited resources in Malaysia to assist with progress to the top levels of sport, or to help identify and develop younger athletes.
Our Team has the goal of locating talented athletes and developing them to their full potential in the sport of triathlon. It is about high performance sport and developing highly talented athletes who have the potential to compete for their country.
We are now looking for interested and talented athletes, from all over Malaysia, to become members of the team. We are looking for athletes with the following profile:
• A strong swimming background and some running experience (school competitions, community participation, athletics club); Swim ability is particularly important and, as a guide, for U16 athletes 200meter freestyle times of under 2min 40s (girls) and 2min25s (boys) is desirable. For over 16′s 400m freestyle of under 5min 30 (girls) and under 5 min (boys).
Keen to represent Malaysia in one of the fastest growing and exciting Olympic sports;
• A willingness to work up to a standard to compete with the rest of the world, and an attitude to work hard, learn and improve
The aims of the Team are to:
• Support and promote triathlon at an elite level in Malaysia to develop Malaysian athletes capable of being competitive at elite level in SEA, Asia and beyond
• Assist in providing expert, professional coaching and other support services, equipment and resources required by elite triathletes to succeed at a high level in modern endurance sport
• Create and facilitate and conducive atmosphere for triathletes to train together and improve themselves
• Provide a development pathway for youth, junior and senior athletes, to move racers to the next level and add new talent to the team
• Assist with travel costs to help athletes gain access to an appropriate level of racing overseas
The team is supported by:
• FHL Sports
• SEGI University
For further information and to apply for team membership please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief outline of sporting achievements and swim times (run also if available)